Deer find your garden attractive mainly because it is a source of food. Just how attractive they find your yard is largely based how much food is on your property versus surrounding areas. Deer may have a heightened need for food towards the end of winter and into spring, which is mating and breeding season; at those times, your garden may even be more tempting to them. The types of plants in your garden is another factor in determining how attractive deer find it. While deer will eat almost any kind of plant if they are hungry enough, deer do have foods that they prefer. Planting their favorite foods and not taking precautions to keep deer out is essentially an invitation to them.
- Palms, widely used for their decorative value are also not among the favorite foods of deer.
- Ease of access to your property
- Absence of predators in the vicinity of your home
Can Deer Be Effectively Deterred?
- Building fences
- Planting only those plants that deer prefer not to eat
- Using strategies designed to scare deer away.
- The deer’s extraordinary sense of smell which is several times greater than that of a dog.
- The deer’s desire to elude its predators
- Shake Away repellent packs work in a variety of weather conditions without the need for constant, messy reapplication.
- Shake Away is not harmful to deer or to humans.
Shake Away deer repellent packs allow the repellent to be hung discreetly in your garden so as to discourage any deer in the vicinity from entering your premises.
Like most other pest animals, deer find your yard or garden attractive because it offers easy, threat-free access to their preferred food. In response to you changing the factors that add up to an attractive feeding grounds for deer, deer will change their behavior and move on to an area that better suits their needs. Taking advantage of the deer’s natural fear of predators (changing your yard from threat-free to threatening) with the use of predator urine based deer repellent may be the least expensive and easiest technique of making and keeping your yard deer free.